Thursday, March 24, 2011

 

A Secret

She climbed into my lap, all smiles and giggles. I wrapped my arms around her and squeezed, unable to resist.

"Daddy, I know a secret," she breathed in a whisper, tickling my ear as she nestled against it.

"A real secret?" I asked.

"Yes. Mommy told me, and I can’t tell anyone ‘cause it’s a secret."

"O.K." I said.

"Can I tell you?"

"Not if Mommy said not to." I could feel her little body sag in my arms.

"Of course," I continued, "Some secrets are best if they’re shared."

I felt a wave of energy sweep through her little form as she eagerly accepted this new idea.

I squeezed again as she wriggled, seeming to want to get her entire little mouth into my ear.

"Mommy’s going to have a baby."

"Wow!" I replied.

"And I’m going to get to play with it whenever I want."

Just then Mommy came into the room.

"I told Daddy our secret."

Mommy smiled. "So now it’s a secret among the three of us."

As she snuggled further into me, she seemed pensive. "You know, secrets are the most fun when they’re shared."

Again, I had to squeeze.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?