Thursday, August 02, 2012

 

How Love Affairs Begin


I really didn't like her at first. But that changed.  My dislike soon grew to detestation!

Part of the problem was that I saw her five days a week at work We were in the same department, both technical writers. We worked on the same floor, but thankfully she was at the south end of the building and I at the north. My only direct contact with her was in meetings and I always sat as far away from her as possible. 

This morning during a particularly boring meeting I spent the time trying to determine what I liked least about her. Was it her repellent appearance. She was short and fat, wore too much makeup, and wore loud clothing which I suppose she thought was sexy. Was it her voice, that screechy nasal whine with her artificial accent supposedly from God knows where.  Or was it her idiotic laugh which reminded me of blackboard scratchings. Maybe it was her egotism.  You know the type.  The type where a stupid person who thinks they're oh so smart is serenely confident that their every ridiculous idea is a treasure to be considered at length.

This afternoon the tragedy struck.  Our boss called me into his office. She was with him, sitting with that usual dopey self-satisfied look on her face.

“I've an especially important rush project. I'm assigning it to the two of you as a project team.  I'm moving you both to a two man office. Delay all your other projects.  Spend full time on this.” 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?